Thursday, November 14, 2019

WAP: classroom management app practical

My classroom problem was how to work on classroom management while using apps to help with transitions. It is challenging for a teacher to gear the classroom management ideas to younger students at the early childhood level.  I looked up classroom noise level apps and timers for my model kindergarten classroom but wanted to also think about how to gear things down to my early childhood classroom. This picture of the timer inspired me to think about how to look for a timer app on my phone. A teacher can use the timer for turn-taking or for monitoring how long to use technology. I remember when I was in elementary school the teacher set the timer to keep track of transitions for computer time. A parent at home may set the timer to explain to their child that they can only watch a 30 min show.


The timer can be set by the child for time recognition and see how many minutes are left.



In my current toddler preschool classroom, we are going to try using this clock for transitions. A parent shared this information with me when we were talking about transitions. Some transitions, such as clean up time, being tough for two and three-year-olds. This is without technology in the classroom.


Here is the example Youtube video


 To look at the noise level during the struggle with transitions in order to quiet down children, I tried the app on the website. https://bouncyballs.org/

It was easier to try this app in my classroom when I only had 4 toddlers. I had to use my phone as the iPad didn't have a mic. I had the students try making noise to see if the objects, such as the eyeballs and the bubbles, move. The students had fun making funny noises. I can see in an older classroom how showing the app on the smartboard may work if the class is noisy.  The Kindergarten student I babysit for liked this app also and had fun playing with it.

Bouncy Balls - Bounce balls with your microphone!

Bounce balls with your microphone! A fun way to manage classroom noise or visualize music. A free classroom noise level meter, monitor and management tool. Perfect if your school kids are too noisy! Bouncing balls react to sounds from the microphone.

Screenshots of the bouncy ball classroom management.



Here is a review of the bouncy ball app.


Next, I looked up classroom timers online such as, Classroom time: timer for kids
https://offspring.lifehacker.com/get-fun-countdown-timers-for-kids-from-youtube-1835328775



.Timer - Apps on Google Play
OK timer, counts your time like never before The perfect Timer-beautifully clean, simple and reliable. Perfect for every timing situation (sports, games, work and of course cooking). ■ User Reviews "I have used several Timer apps like StopWatch&Timer, StopWatch Timer and Kitchen Timer. And OK Timer is my favorite timer!

Here is a screenshot








After looking around, I decided I would try this timer as my friend Mary, who is a kindergarten teacher, told me about it.

Countdown Timer on computer) https://www.online-stopwatch.com

A Free flash online countdown, quick easy to use countdown timer! also an online stopwatch!

Here are the icons




The favorite one I explored is called the Kitty Race timer. I think it would be interesting for my students as it has the visuals of the cats racing on the timer.



Kitty Race Timer

Watch the cute little Kitties race to win the ball of wool! Who will win? Watch and see!










Another app timer, I learned from Molly Cushman's blog in her PowerPoint presentation is called the Children's Countdown timer: Here is the link. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fehnerssoftware.visualtimer&hl=en_US

The screen shot below is of one of the timers.


Another app I recently looked at, called Class 123, is one that I would like to learn more about if I taught in an elementary classroom. : https://class123.ac/?fbclid=IwAR2SXflvlfP0w7w5HW3wIlAn-4LGAb53S5lIy7MgDxaYfnFFYkx3eB-3WLc. It has timers, ways to praise students, and different sounds to get students' attention.



Here are some other classroom management apps I would like to try.




Go Guardian


Here are some book sources on classroom management.









 In my teaching career, I want to keep learning more about classroom management. I feel timers, listening, and noise level apps are keys to being a successful teacher. Teachers can use technology and other techniques to maximize classroom management. It is always an experiment to see what works for your own classroom.  I feel that taking attendance can also be a classroom management tool. While, talking to another friend at another center, I learned she uses an attendance app on her classroom ipad with the child's picture on it for checking students in. I  want to ask her more about the app and how she uses it. The director told me it is called the connect app for attendance monitoring. Looking up all these ideas on classroom management helps me as a teacher to own my own learning.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Pomodoro Timer

I want to see if this helps me with time management when needing to take a reading break. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=...